Census Report Quantifies International Roots of Lower Merion, Narberth Residents
Local neighborhoods are diverse in their diversity.
Statistical reports on Lower Merion and Narberth residents' international roots—such as birthplaces, ancestries and languages spoken at home—are among the vast array of data in the U.S. Census Bureau's 2011 American Community Survey.
The five-year survey, produced by sample interviews from 2007 through 2011, was released last week.
Among the notable results:
- About 12 percent of Lower Merion residents and 7 percent of Narberth residents were born outside the United States.
- Within Lower Merion's neighborhoods, the foreign-born percentage ranges from 8 percent in Haverford to 15 percent in Wynnewood/Penn Wynne.
- In both Bryn Mawr/Rosemont and Wynnewood/Penn Wynne, languages besides English are spoken in about 17 percent of households. The opposite end of that spectrum, locally, is 9 percent in Bala Cynwyd/Belmont Hills.
- Irish is the most common ancestry reported by residents in Narberth and in Lower Merion, though not in every neighborhood there. In Montgomery County as a whole, and throughout Pennsylvania, German is the most common ancestry, according to the Census Bureau.
|Place||% born outside U.S.||% non-English language at home||
Most common ancestry
|Bala Cynwyd — Belmont Hills||11||9||Russian|
|Bryn Mawr — Rosemont||12||17||Irish|
|Narberth — Penn Valley||9||11||Irish|
|Wynnewood — Penn Wynne||15||17||Russian|
The following are ancestries reported in more than 10 percent of residents' responses:
- LOWER MERION: 15% Irish, 14% German, 10% English, 10% Russian
- NARBERTH: 34% Irish, 25% Italian, 16% German
- Ardmore: 25% Irish, 22% German, 15% Italian, 12% English
- Bala Cynwyd/Belmont Hills: 15% Russian, 13% German, 13% Irish
- Bryn Mawr/Rosemont: 22% Irish, 14% German, 11% English, 10% Italian
- Gladwyne: 18% English, 17% German, 11% Irish
- Haverford: 24% Irish, 18% German, 14% English
- Merion Station: 16% Irish, 13% German, 11% Russian
- Narberth/Penn Valley: 21% Irish, 18% Italian, 15% German, 12% Russian
- Wynnewood/Penn Wynne: 12% Russian, 12% Irish, 11% German
Which of these numbers surprise you? Tell us in the comments section below.