Local Events: Dickens Festival, Hanukkah Extravaganza, Winterfest and More
Find out what's happening in and around Narberth and Bala Cynwyd this weekend.
Are you looking for something to do this weekend? Check out these great local events.
- When: Saturday, Dec. 8 from Noon - 4 p.m.
- Where: Downtown Narberth, Corner of Forrest and Haverford Avenues
- Why Go: Come out for this unique and free family event held each December on the streets of downtown Narberth. In this Dickens-themed event, the town of Narberth is transformed into 1840's London, as Ebeneezer Scrooge and all the characters from A Christmas Carol roam the streets. Enjoy professional musicians, costumed performers, and victorian carolers as well as several activities including, a scavenger hunt, horse and carriage rides, crafts, professional ice sculpting display, free showings of A Muppet Christmas Carol, free Nutcracker dance performances from the Pennsylvania Academy of Ballet, tatoos and face paintings, and period-authentic vendors and street food. This event grows larger every year drawing in thousands who want to go back in time.
- Cost: Free
- When: Sunday, December 9 from 12:30- 2:30 p.m.
- Where: Kaiserman JCC, 45 Haverford Rd, Wynnewood
- Why Go: A Hanukkah Extravaganza at the Kaiserman JCC features a Clothesline Art Exhibit by the Wilf Pre-school students, free latkes, jelly donuts, gelt, Hanukkah games and Kindergym, Kosher dairy lunch provided by Shalom Pizza, a Hanukkah art project, face painting, inflatables, dreidel game, olive press, and a multi media Hanukkah presentation.
- Cost: $5 per person (ages 3 and up)
- When: Saturday, Dec. 8 from 9:30 - 11 a.m.
- Where: St. John's Episcopal Church 404 Levering Mill Rd, Bala Cynwyd
- Why Go: This event introduces the children to Santa, St. Nick, and the Wise Men, ending at the Christmas stable. Sign your children up for this special morning and invite friends and family - all are welcome and there is no charge. The morning is non-denominational but teaches the true meaning of Christmas.
- Cost: Free
- When: Sunday, Dec. 9 from 2 - 8 p.m.
- Where: The Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education, 8480 Hagy's Mill Road, Philadelphia
- Why Go: Bring the kids and celebrate the season at this fun family festival. Enjoy shopping from eco-artist vendors and crafters, DIY craft workshops - including wreath making, nature walks, storytime and more. The kids will love it when WXPN's Kids Corner joins in on the fun from 2 - 6 p.m. with host Kathy O'Connell bringing the entire Science Thursday line-up including chemist Lisa Chirlian, naturalist Jane Kirkland and SCEE's own Mike Weilbacher. Stick around for a stargazing workshop from 6 - 8 p.m. in the meadow and visit the campfire to make s'mores!
- Cost: Suggested Donation $5
- When: Sunday, December 9 from 4 - 6 p.m.
- Where: Suburban Square, next to Starbucks, Ardmore
- Why Go: Featuring a giant chocolate Menorah, a Jewish Dance Revolution, Latkes, Chocolate Fondue, Decorating Donuts, Guess the Dreidel and more! There will be an outdoor Menorah lighting at 5 p.m. Sponsored by Chabad Main Line
- Cost: Free