Officer James Conway resigned Friday from the six-member Narberth Police Department, effective immediately, Mayor Tom Grady said.
Conway did not return a call for comment Monday. Gavin Goschinski, president of Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 28, which includes Lower Merion and Narberth, told Patch, "It's my understanding that he resigned for personal reasons."
Asked whether Conway left at his own behest or at the borough's, Grady, the head of the police department, said he could not comment on the personnel matter. Goschinski said the FOP is not considering any legal action against the borough in connection with Conway's departure.
Grady emphasized that residents "will have 100 percent coverage all the time" even with an immediate departure.
"If it requires overtime, we'll use overtime for that," the mayor said.
Narberth had already scheduled an Oct. 1 test for police candidates; Lt. Art Pavoni, the department's highest-ranking uniformed member, is set to retire at year's end.
"We are in the process of hiring one police officer, and now we'll be hiring two," Grady said.
More than 20 people have applied for the Narberth police test, Borough Manager Bill Martin said.
Asked when new officers would be able to join the department, Grady said, "I'm an optimist; I will say Jan. 1. It's become a priority-1."
In April, the Main Line Times reported on Conway getting a commendation from the borough for a burglary arrest in 2010.
Conway and Narberth's three other patrolmen were to earn an average of $71,670 in base salary this year, according to preliminary yearly expenditures posted on the borough's Web site.
Pavoni's 2011 base salary is $98,374, and Sgt. Robert Yantorno's is $83,575.