A maintenance building at West Laurel Hill Cemetery in Bala Cynwyd caught fire Monday morning.
Chas McGarvey, chief fire officer and fire marshal of Lower Merion Township, said work was being done on a lawn mower in one of the cemetery’s garages on Righters Ferry Road, and that the lawn mower ignited during an attempt to start it. McGarvey said that “lots of gasoline” was stored in the garage, and that led to the size of the fire.
Union Fire Association, Belmont Hills Fire Company, Narberth Fire Company, Gladwyne Fire Company and the Lower Merion Fire Department all responded.
No injuries were reported.