Narberth is in the process of filling the two vacancies that have left the police department with only four officers since December began, officials said at Monday's borough council meeting.
Lt. Art Pavoni's last day of work was Nov. 30, Mayor Tom Grady said at the meeting. His retirement, after 28 years with the department, officially takes effect Dec. 31.
Officer James Conway Sept. 9 for what the police union and borough termed personal reasons. Before Conway left, the department had already scheduled Oct. 1 police tests, anticipating Pavoni's retirement. More than 20 people applied.
Councilman Sam Quinn said Monday night that "background checks are being carried out, and we are in the process of hiring two new officers." In September, Grady had pegged Jan. 1 as the date when he hoped to have a full department again.
With Pavoni gone, Sgt. Robert Yantorno has assumed day-to-day command of the department and has been cooperating with Lower Merion police for supplemental coverage, Grady said.
Council President Mary Jo Daley read aloud a letter from Pavoni to Narberth officials.
"Thank you for the opportunities, both personally and professionally, that you have afforded me over the years," Pavoni said in the letter.
Also Monday night:
- Four budget ordinances were introduced and are scheduled for final approval at the Dec. 28 meeting. A is proposed.
- Councilman Surge Ghosh praised the work of the organizers and observed that the growing crowds have prompted more people to suggest closing Haverford Avenue for the annual event.
- The council approved a new four-year contract for non-uniform employees, one that Councilman Bob Wegbreit said is six months of negotiations in the making. Terms were not announced at the meeting.